Thursday 10 September 2009

Luck of the non-Irish

Twas over a year ago I won first place, my seat to the Irish championship and a Gold medal at DTD in the APAT regional final.

I was just going to sell the ticket but fate and Helen changed my mind and off to Dublin we flew.

Delighted that we went as we spent a fantastic time with our friends before the tournament. However, despite a good start were I was playing well and providing a first class display of "Speechplay" according to the APAT live updates, this comp did not have my name on it.

The hand that did the most damage showed exactly how much luck plays apart in our favourite past time -

Blinds 400/800

I am in the SB with K-J and a mid position player places a 5000 chip with out stating "Raise", the dealer rightly announces it's a call and tells him to place the correct number of chips in the pot. Whether this was attempt at "Angle Shooting" I do not know but the player says he will bet that chip on the flop. I decide to limp and the BB checks, 3 players see a flop -

9-10-Q

Nice, casually checking I say that he hasn't the balls to chuck in that 5000, the BB checks along and mid guy throws in the 5K with a smug look. My choice is ridiculously easy - allin.

BB folds but mid calls with his lesser stack and tables Q-10.

Needless to say a Q pops up on the river and a shove later with a dominated hand means I am out.

Sigh.

I decided to chillout on the Sunday by playing the Fitzwilliam's regular comp and took 3rd for a nice payout, much fun was had on the way to the final table and new friends made.

No comments: